Thursday, July 24, 2008

Glasses Awe

I tried on those glasses the other day. I am currently in Paris and I did my normal trip to Galeries Lafayette and Printemps to gaze at the designers. It's sad to say that I had never seen Maison Martin Margiela's clothes in person before. I really don't understand why the giant department shop in Dublin,Brown Thomas, isn't better stocked. It has the major designers like Prada and Dolce and Gabanna but it's a very small selection. That said the last time I was there they had ONE Balenciga dress and an actual rail of Philip Lim which is a welcome improvement. C'mon the dublin of today is not like the dublin of the 80s. Not like I was around to see it,but i'm told it wasn't the nicest! We should be aspiring to be like all the other big european capitals. We just need to embrace a little culture.

Anyway this was not supposed to be a rant on the state of Dublin, this was supposed to be talking about Printemps and Galeries Lafayette! I started off in Galeries Lafayette as it is the more renowned of the two. It was okay. They had a big Comme Des Garcons rack which was nice and it was listed that they had Louis Goldin, which I was surprised at, but it turned out that she was nowhere to be seen. But the designers I liked were smatterings between more low end ones like Diesel and Guess.Not to say these are bad brands, its just I go to department stores to look at designers in person,not to actually buy anything. Even though I was enamoured by Max Mara socks... I then moved on to Printemps which I thought was alot better. It had a large Burberry and Balenciagca section and I was in actual awe in the Maison Martin Margiela section. It was so great touching the clothes that I reconized from the show and putting the glasses on felt amazing!I also saw real Herve Leger bandage dresses! It was pretty embarrassing the daze I was in when walking around the shop, touching all the clothes. I think I'd probably have a heart attack if I ever went to a show because I would be so amazed!